As the preseason nears its end, the Toronto Raptors are trimming their roster: They’ve waived Cameron Payne, Devin Robinson and Matt Morgan, according to multiple reports, including TSN’s Josh Lewenberg:
The Raptors have waived Cameron Payne, Devin Robinson and Matt Morgan. Some or all of them may end up with the 905. Roster is down to 17. 15 will make the team, they also have both of their 2-way spots open.— Josh Lewenberg (@JLew1050) October 19, 2019
As Josh indicates, Toronto still needs to make two more cuts before the season officially begins to trim the roster down to the maximum 15.
Payne appeared to be a bit of a flyer for the Raptors; he’s bounced around the league the last few years, and with the team needing a third point guard, he seemed like a good preseason test case. But with the emergence of Terence Davis II, who’s shown the ability to play both on and off the ball, not to mention Nick Nurse’s (hopefully not misplaced) trust in Patrick McCaw, Payne was expendable.
Robinson and Morgan (who was just officially signed on Friday) are decent bets to land with the Raptors 905. The Raptors also have both of their two-way deals still available to award.
As for those final two roster cuts, some thoughts:
- Both Chris Boucher and Malcolm Miller have contracts that guarantee on Monday. If the Raptors decide they’re not worth the money, they could be the two cuts. I’d wager against it in Boucher’s case, but Miller — much as I like him — might be on the outside looking in.
- Terence Davis seems like a good bet to make the team.
- Oshae Brissett and Isaiah Taylor are both eligible for two-way contracts; Brissett has played well in the preseason.
- Although neither Matt Thomas nor Stanley Johnson has particularly distinguished themselves, both have guaranteed contracts and it’s unlikely Toronto will eat them.
- Rookie Dewan Hernandez has also signed a contract, although it’s just as likely he starts the season with Raptors 905.
My bet: The roster looks like this come Tuesday:
- Kyle Lowry
- Marc Gasol
- Pascal Siakam
- Serge Ibaka
- Fred Vanvleet
- OG Anunoby
- Norman Powell
- Pat McCaw
- Stanley Johnson
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
- Matt Thomas
- Dewan Hernandez
- Chris Boucher
- Terence Davis II
- Two ways: Oshae Brissett and an as-yet unsigned player.
Yes, sadly, that means Malcolm Miller’s time with the Raptors is at an end. I hope I’m wrong on that one!