The D-League’s regular season is winding down, and the 905 have clinched 1st in the East, which means bragging rights, but also: home court throughout the playoffs.
Here’s a summary of what went down the past week.
Saturday Mar. 18 — vs. Long Island Nets
Final Score: 120-105 for the 905.
Brady Heslip Keeps Cooking
Heslip is the best shooter currently not in the NBA hands down. It isn’t just the shot anymore that should be scaring teams, as he can run an offense very efficiently. Heslip played in 32 minutes vs. the Nets, adding 18 points, 9 assists, 2 steals and 2 rebounds, along with being a +26. Not bad.
Pascal Siakam Is Good
Despite returning to the Raptors for tonight’s Heat game (due to the Serge Ibaka suspension), Siakam will likely stay with the 905 for the rest of the season. Having Siakam only strengthens the already talented and deep 905 roster. In this game Siakam played in 23 minutes, while adding 18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 2 blocks for a very impressive stat line.
Don’t Forget About Bruno
Bruno Caboclo was not available for the 905 at the ACC game as he was dealing with a shoulder injury. However, he returned against the Nets for a solid game on both sides of the ball. Bruno ended up finishing with, 16 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks while shooting 6-of-8 from the field and 3-of-4 from three in 32 minutes.
- Edy Tavares returned to his usual play with 18 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 assists while shooting 9-12 from the field in 27 minutes.
- C.J. Leslie and Antwaine Wiggins were inactive with injuries while Goodluck Okonoboh was hit with a DNP-CD.
Sunday Mar. 10 — vs. Long Island Nets
Final Score: 117-99 for the 905.
Axel Toupane Has Huge Game
Toupane, who already have spent time in the NBA this season, is looking like he deserves another chance. If he doesn’t get another contract before the D-League season is up and into the summer, the Raptors should use one of the 2-way contracts to keep him. In this game, Toupane played in only 21 minutes, but had 20 points, 10 assists, 3 steals and 3 rebounds and was a +25.
Siakam Won’t Stop
The problem is that Siakam doesn’t get minutes in the NBA, but it seems like the D-League is too easy for him. Siakam is just so much better, faster and stronger than anyone trying to guard him, heck anyone on the court. In this game Siakam played in 28 minutes, while adding 16 points, 8 rebounds an 2 assists and shooting 6-of-9 from the field.
He was also named Player of the Week, by the way:
- Edy Tavares had another solid game with 17 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocks in only 17 minutes.
- Christian Watford added some energy from the bench with 8 points, 10 rebounds and 2-of-2 from three in 19 minutes.
- C.J. Leslie and Antwaine Wiggins were both out again with injuries, so maybe those injuries that happened at the ACC game are more serious than originally expected.
- Goodluck Okonoboh was hit with another DNP-CD, but word is he is also banged up with a minor injury.
Wednesday Mar. 22 — vs. Grand Rapids Drive
Final Score: 112-87 for the 905.
Brady in Bunches
Can an NBA team give this guy a chance? All Heslip does is produce and shoot the lights out. In another classic Heslip game, he once again started at point guard and ran the offense very well. He finished with, 22 points and 2 rebounds while shooting 6-of-11 from three in 27 minutes.
Birthday Boy Double-Double
Edy Tavares turned 25 on Wednesday and had a huge outing for the 905. Tavares was a force on the glass, the post, you name it — Tavares was there. In this game, Tavares started at centre and played in 22 minutes, going for 16 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks. Happy Birthday Edy!
C.J. Leslie Returns
After missing the past two games with an ankle injury, Leslie returned to the starting lineup and had a huge game. Without Leslie the past few games, the 905 have gone smaller or had to run with Christian Watford at the four who filled in admirably. However, as has been the case all year, Leslie is better than Watford and it was a good sign for the 905 to have him back. Leslie finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds while shooting 4-of-7 from the field.
- Axel Toupane also produced a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.
- Antwaine Wiggins also returned from injury and chipped in with 14 points off the bench.
- Bruno Caboclo (injury), Will Sheehey (rest??) and Negus Webster-Chan were the inactives while Goodluck Okonoboh was hit with a DNP-CD.