The 905 had three games this past week as they headed to Windy City first before returning home for two games. In other news, Jared Sullinger made an appearance with the 905 again, as the team headed into the All-Star break on a high note.
Here is a summary of what went down.
Thursday Feb. 9 — vs. Windy City Bulls
Final Score: 113-104 for the 905, a Toronto-adjunct team beat a team from Chicago.
Brady Heslip Continues Hot Streak
With Delon Wright playing for the 905, Heslip was forced to the bench and the move did wonders. When the Raptors assign a point guard (Wright/VanVleet), Heslip often moves to a shooting guard role which benefits him greatly — he’s often left open for threes. In this game Heslip finished with 22 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal in 29 minutes. Heslip also shot 7-of-12 from the field and 4 of 8 from three.
Wright Gets Minutes
Wright continued to play for the 905 this past week and was able to run the offense as well as improve his game. Wright has been looking more and more confident as he gets more playing time after recovering from his shoulder surgery. He ended up with a productive game of 19 points, 9 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and 3 rebounds in 36 minutes. After the game Wright and his brother ended up getting into a argument on Twitter with a reporter.
Portland has a keeper in Jake Layman. Good shooting touch at 6-9. Recent Raps 1st rounders Bruno Caboclo & Delon Wright not standing out.— Mark Schanowski (@MarkSchanowski) February 10, 2017
Not standing out!! +20 13pts 9ast 0 t.o. Think that's a pretty standout performance so far. https://t.co/hDaOuW8sCs— Dorell Wright (@DWRIGHTWAY1) February 10, 2017
- Antwaine Wiggins had a very nice game as he finished with 17 points, 2 rebounds and 2 steals while shooting 8-of-10 from the field.
- Bruno Caboclo had a productive game as he finished with 14 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks while shooting 3-of-5 from three.
- Both Negus Webster-Chan and Goodluck Okonoboh were hit with DNP-CD.
- Will Sheehey and Axel Toupane continue to be out with injuries.
Saturday Feb. 11 — vs Canton Charge
Final Score: 118-88 for the 905, after leading the entire length of the game.
Jared Sullinger Returns
If you told me before the season that Sullinger would play more games for the 905 than Pascal Siakam and Jakob Poeltl combined, I would have called you crazy. But now, it’s true. Sullinger suited up for his second 905 game and tried to get other players involved, often making a pass to get a better shot. “We were just playing team basketball,” said Sullinger afterwards. Both Toupane and Okonoboh walked by post-game and yelled “Good game Sully.” It’s fair to say he fits in wherever he goes. Sullinger’s final stat line was 16 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists as well as being +17 and shooting 2-of-2 from three.
Brady ‘Curry’ Heslip
Any NBA in need of a 3-point specialist, should take a look at Heslip. Heslip is leading the D-League in 3-point makes, and picking up the point guard position for stretches. Against one of the better players in the D-League, Caton’s Quinn Cook, Heslip put on a show. In 22 minutes coming off the bench, Heslip finished with 18 points, 2 assists and 2 rebounds, while shooting 5-of-8 from three and 6-of-9 from the field.
- Edy Tavares finished with a double-double again, and continues to be too big for the D-League to contain.
- In just three minutes of playing time John Jordan put up 7 points and an incredible dunk, showing off his hops before the dunk competition.
- Goodluck Okonoboh was hit with a DNP-CD.
- Axel Toupane and Will Sheehey continue to be out with injuries.
Tuesday Feb. 14 — vs. Westchester Knicks
Final Score: 105-99 for the 905, to complete the 3-0 week.
CJ Leslie Puts Up a Huge Double-Double
After an incredible start to the season Leslie have been more of a secondary player for the 905. Still, coach Jerry Stackhouse rolled the dice and re-inserted Leslie back into the starting lineup and, wow, the decision paid off. With Sheehey and Toupane out, and Bruno on the bench for the Raptors, Leslie’s big game was needed. In the end Leslie finished with 25 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists and a block, while shooting 11-of-17 from the field.
Tavares Hosts Another Block Party
Edy Tavares have been a (literally) huge reason for the 905’s success. When the 905 get in trouble or the shot clock is almost up they go to the big man in the post and he finishes. Tavares finished with 16 points, 13 rebounds, 5 block shots, 5 steals and 4 assists for a monster stat line. Tavares will head into the All-Star Game on a high note with a big game.
- Bruno has another nice outing with 13 points and 7 rebounds.
- Wiggins continues to be a nice bench piece as he finished with 14 points.
- Goodluck Okonoboh hit with another DNP-CD and Axel Toupane and Will Sheehey continue to be out with injuries.