The Raptors 905 are still working their way back into form after their championship run of 2016-17. The team’s mostly new, and that’s led to some losses. But not everyone is down about it. “Everyone said you only got two returners from last year,” said coach Jerry Stackhouse at media day. “But I’m like, it’s two more than I had last year when I started.
With basically a brand new team it has taken time for Stackhouse to figure out his regular rotation, and for players to find chemistry. After a solid 2-1 week, it looks like the 905 are starting to find their groove.
Friday Dec. 15 — vs. Greensboro Swarm
Final Score: 107-106 for the Swarm in overtime
The 905 had a perfect chance to win this game, but the Swarm outscored them 33-22 in the fourth to tie it up. In the two minute overtime, the Swarm eked out a 2-1 margin (yes, really) and secured the victory.
Big Mac Attack is Back
After an injury left him out of training camp, it’s been delightful to see Malcolm Miller come into his own over the past week. The 905 need him, and as one of the team’s two 2-way contract players, Big Mac has been showing why.
Now apparently off his minutes restriction, Miller played an impressive 43 minutes in this one, scoring 32 points while adding 5 rebounds, 1 assist and shooting 6-of-10 from three.
Bruno On a New Level?
Bruno Caboclo looks like a different player this season with the 905. Caboclo appears to be taking on a leadership role on and off the court while improving his play. Sure, the question still remains if Caboclo will get a serious shot in the NBA, but we know what he can do in the G League.
In the tight loss, Bruno had 24 points, 5 rebounds, 3 blocks in just 26 minutes. Not bad at all for the (still) young man.
- Shevon Thompson recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds. Thompson’s addition to this team has been huge.
- Kaza Keane continues to be a playmaker with 7 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds and 3 steals in 35 minutes.
- Lorenzo Brown was with the Raptors, Davion Berry was inactive as he was still serving the team suspension and Andre Washington was hit with the DNP-CD.
Saturday Dec. 16 — vs. Windy City Bulls
Final Score: 104-99 for the 905
The 905 were playing the second game of a road back-to-back which many teams struggle with, but instead: look at the result.
Meeks and Shevon: Big Men, Big Games
Kennedy Meeks and Shevon Thompson have given head coach Jerry Stackhouse a dynamic one-two punch at centre. It doesn’t matter which one starts, at both are very consistent and can dominate the post and grab rebounds.
Against the Bulls, Meeks put in 11 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in 33 minutes of work. Meanwhile, Thompson played only 13 minutes, didn’t return to the game, and still managed to put up 12 points, 9 rebounds, 1 assist and a block.
- Aaron Best led the offensive threat for the 905 with 16 points.
- Malcolm Miller continues to shine with 14 points, 5 rebounds, and an assist in 30 minutes.
- Kaza Keane was the leader in assists again with a 7 point, 10 assist, and 6 rebound line in 29 minutes.
- Brown was inactive as he was with the Raptors, as Negus Webster-Chan and Andre Washington were hit with DNP-CD.
Monday Dec 8th — vs. Salt Lake City Stars
Final Score: 99-87 for the 905
The win pushed the 905 to 2-1 for the week (2-2 in their last four games, of which the two losses game by a total of... two points). Are things turning around for the 905? It’s starting to feel that way.
Malcolm Miller had a huge week for the 905 and was easily the top player for in two of their three games. In this one, Miller had 22 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block and a steal and shot 6-of-11 from three in 32 minutes for another solid game.
Lorenzo Brown’s Double-Doubling
Lorenzo Brown has not played with the 905 in some time due his presence with the Toronto Raptors. During his absence, Kaza Keane stepped up as the starting point guard, but still: it was good to have Brown back.
In the win, Brown led the way for the team with 16 points, 14 assists, 7 rebounds and a steal in 36 minutes. This guy knows he’s an NBA-calibre player.
- Kennedy Meeks continues to impress with 16 points and 7 rebounds in 23 minutes.
- Shevon Thompson came off the bench with 10 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes.
- Negus Webster-Chan was inactive due to an injury while Andre Washington was hit with a DNP-CD.
Reminder: If you want to go see any 905 games this year go here and use promo code RAPTORSHQ905 to get discounts on 905 tickets all season long.