The Raptors 905 have been losing lately. With only two games this week, the team was looking to hopefully get back into the win column. Here’s the recap for the week that was for the 905 in the G League.
Friday Dec. 8th — vs. Grand Rapids Drive
Final Score: 101-87 for the Drive
The 905 struggled to start the second quarter and scored just 11 points in the frame. Not surprisingly, this created a huge hole the 905 just couldn’t get out of, despite strong efforts from a variety of players.
Shevon Thompson, A Huge Addition
When the 905 acquired Thompson from the Lakeland Magic for the returning rights of Scott Suggs, I don’t think even the 905 expected Thompson to have this much of an impact.
Thompson started this game, in which he provided some quality rebounding and much-needed rim protection. Thompson recorded yet another double-double, putting up 11 points, 13 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 blocks and an assist in just 27 minutes of play.
Bruno Caboclo Making Strides
Former first-round pick of the Toronto Raptors back in 2014 has been in the G League for all of his career. Caboclo has yet to make an impact at the NBA level, but is looking a better at the G League level than he did last season.
Caboclo has looked more mature this season, and isn’t getting as frustrated on plays, and even playing some minutes at centre. Caboclo finished with 17 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block and a steal in 33 minutes.
- Kaza Keane continues to impress when he runs the offense as the starting point guard. Keane had 16 points, 8 assists, 5 rebounds in 38 minutes of play.
- Kennedy Meeks continues to be a productive player for coach Jerry Stackhouse. Meeks had 12 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist and a block in 28 minutes.
- While another Canadian in Aaron Best has had his ups and downs this season, but this game may have been one of his, uh, best. He had 16 points, 1 rebounds, 1 assists and shot 3-of-4 from 3 in 39 minutes.
- Malcolm Miller and Lorenzo Brown were inactive as they were both with the Raptors, while Davion Berry was inactive due to a personal reason. Andre Washington also got hit with a DNP-CD.
Wednesday Dec. 13th — vs. Texas Legends
Final Score: 111-100 for the 905
Finally, the 905 end the losing streak! It was a tough game for the 905 but they played a complete game for the victory. Sadly, however, before the game even started the 905 announced they had suspended Davion Berry for two games for violating team policy.
Big Bruno, Having a Game
It perhaps seems crazy to consider it, but every game Caboclo is looking more and more like he is ready to get some NBA minutes. Caboclo decided to come back down to the G League for a fourth season, and boy has it helped his development.
Caboclo flat out dominated this game against the Legends. In only 26 minutes Caboclo was easily the best player on the floor at all times, finishing with 24 points, 10 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks.
Keane Just Misses The Triple-Double
Kaze Keane, the Carleton University alumni, can flat out ball. If Keane can continue this production, don’t be shocked if he is in an NBA training camp next year, or perhaps signing a two-way contract. Keane has already passed expectations this season and just keeps getting better and better.
With Lorenzo Brown still with the Raptors, Keane was once again tasked with starting at point guard and running the offense. Keane finished just one rebound shy of a triple-double, as he had 13 points, 15 assists, and 9 rebounds in 37 minutes. Keane’s 15 assists are also a team-high passing, Delon Wright’s 13 set back in December of 2015.
- Malcolm Miller may have played his best game with the 905 so far. Miller had 18 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks and a steal in 38 minutes.
- Kennedy Meeks continues his consistent play with 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists and a block in 31 minutes.
- Aaron Best from Ryerson University also appears to be hitting his stride. He had 10 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists in 30 minutes.
- Fuquan Edwin made his 905 debut, and had 7 points and 3 rebounds in 24 minutes.
- Brown was inactive, as he is with the Raptors. Meanwhile, Berry sat this one out due to the aforementioned team suspension.
Reminder: If you want to go see any 905 games this year go here and use promo code RAPTORSHQ905 to get discounts on 905 tickets all season long.