In case you've been entombed in amber for the last 24 hours, the Toronto Raptors unveiled their new logo yesterday.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Now that we've got your attention... <a href="http://t.co/kJ8peohItE">pic.twitter.com/kJ8peohItE</a></p>— Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) <a href="https://twitter.com/Raptors/status/546056402293518336">December 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
First, the good:
- There's still red in it!
- I think the dusty gold offers an interesting, different look. Though I have some caveats (see below).
- The clawed basketball definitely works.
- We are ride-or-die with that "We The North" font, which I support.
- I am very, very interested to see how this logo will fit with whatever the new uniforms will look like.
Now some bad:
- Black and white? Before the colour-coding was introduced, the Brooklyn Net comparisons are obvious.
- We'll never see the return of full-fledged purple. Apologies to all you 90s fans out there.
- Seriously, "This is our shield"? The Nets logo is a shield. Too close for comfort.
- The black-and-gold does seem just a touch to reminiscent of OVO. I know that's probably the point but we should admit it feels strange to veer from one pop culture element (Jurassic Park) to another (Drake). So much for timelessness.
But I'm not here to tell you what I think. (Well, not entirely.) This is the Internet - a place for rational and reasonable discourse. I'm curious to know what you think. So, let's open the floor (and the poll).