I'm a huge Raptors fan, and seeing them in such a state of misdirection and misery makes me upset. So I have put together a list of 8 things, in no particular order, of what the Raptors should, and will not do, either because it is unrealistic/ out of reach, or actually impossible.
1. Go back in time and don't draft Bargnani. Draft Lamarcus Aldridge instead! Aldridge and Bosh were teammates in high school. If they were our two starting big men, imagine how amazing we would have been!
2. Go back in time and don't trade for Rudy Gay. Okay, so that was a pretty good way to get rid of Jose Calderon (who was not needed), but does Colangelo know what rebuilding means? You don't trade your 23 year old rapidly improving PF and your 2nd round draft pick, especially when you don't have a 1st rounder, for a high level player that is entering his prime! When you're rebuilding, your whole core has to be on the same page. When you have Valanciunas, someone who is just learning the ropes, and Gay, someone who is entering the climax of his career, any success will not last very long. Besides, Rudy Gay's contract ends after the 2013-2014 season, but not before we pay him 15 Million bucks!
3. Fire Bryan Colangelo. This one is actually becoming more realistic. After MLSE hired a firm to search for possible replacements, all hope has gone up that he will leave. After all, this is the same guy that drafted Bargnani first overall, traded TJ Ford, Roy Hibbert and Rasho Nesterovic for Jermaine O'neal and gave him the 2nd highest salary in the NBA (big mistake), and was giving Hedo Turkoglu (don't even get me started) over $10 Million a year!
4. Bring back The Swirsk. Chuck Swirsky is my favourite play-by-play commentator of all time. He was one of the main reasons that I watched Raptors games. Just admit it. Everyone misses the "Salami and Cheese!".
5. Bring back the purple storm. The Raptors used to win games when they had the amazing purple atmosphere at their home games. So instead of reminiscing upon those good 'ol days, let's bring back the purple!
6. Don't keep Lowry after next season. Kyle Lowry's contract expires after the 2013-2014 season. I think before the trade deadline, we should trade Lowry and Gay for something big (and young), or just trade Gay and let Lowry become a free agent. Assuming they either end up with a good draft pick because of an awful season or a pick acquired from a trade, we could draft a point guard like Andrew Harrison or Joe Jackson.
7. Keep Amir Johnson. That is all. He is a dominant big man on the rise. Keep him and Valanciunas as our big men!
8. Get rid of Bargnani. Since we can't go back in time, get rid of Bargnani's humongous salary and either draft, trade for, or sign someone that will actually contribute to the team.
So, if the Raptors can somehow manage to accomplish all 8 of those things, then they will surely once again be winners.